If you don’t exfoliate your skin regularly the dead skin cells may build up and your skin may look dull and less radiant. A dull complexion may be caused by different factors and that’s why following a strict skincare routine is essential in order to keep your skin fresh and radiant-looking. A dull complexion often appears less radiant and lifeless, the skin usually feels rough and tight.
- stress and tiredness
- lack of essential vitamins
- smoking and drinking plenty of alcohol
- slow blood circulation
- wind, sun, humidity, temperatures
How to brighten:
Certainly the best way to brighten a dull complexion is to exfoliate your face at least twice a week, this way you will remove the dead skin cells that make your skin appear dull and lifeless. When you exfoliate your face you remove the dead surface skin cells and the oil that cause pores to plug and lead to problems like blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and acne. If you don’t remove these cells regularly they can clog the sebaceous pores and make your skin look dull and patchy.
How to exfoliate:
Wet your face and apply an exfoliating cleanser, designed for the face, or sprinkle it onto a sponge or brush. Scrub using gentle circular motions, avoiding the eye area and massage the exfoliator very carefully. Don’t exfoliate your skin for more than 2/ 3 minutes, otherwise you can irritate it. Make sure the exfoliator is appropriate for your skin type and doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals.
Exfoliate your face twice a week in order to stimulate the cellular renewal, to improve your complexion and to make your skin look brighter.
- Perform a microdermabrasion at home to brighten your complexion. Microdermabrasion is more than skin exfoliation, but it is gentler that chemical peel for example. Nowadays there are different microdermabrasion kits available on the market that usually include micro-crystal cream (with aluminum oxide crystals), lotions, post-microdermabrasion moisturizer, exfoliating wand, foam applicators or exfoliating cloth, that are appropriate for performing a microdermabrasion at home. If you perform microdermabrasion once a week or once a month depending on your skin you will see the results – you will improve the condition of your skin, eliminate the appearance of dark spots anddiscolorations, you will improve the overall appearance of your skin and will brighten your dull, lifeless complexion.
- Do a brightening face mask once or twice a week. The brightening face mask reveal a brighter, more even complexion. They help correct pigmenation irregularities and prevent the appearane of further discolorations. Most of the masks should be applied twice a week and left on for approximately 10 / 15 minutes.
- Massage your face to improve your blood circulation. Massage your skin every day with a massaging cream or massaging oil in the evening or in the morning, but make sure your skin is clean and free of makeup. Facial massage reduces the unattractive fleshiness, tightens the tissues and muscles and increases blood circulation which is essential for a radiant skin.
- Steam your face once a week to cleanse your skin in deep. Steaming is very important to loosen debris that may be embedded into the skin. When steaming the face you wide the clogged pores and soften the skin in order to cleanse more easily the impurities, the traces of makeup, the dust, the sebaceous secretions as well as the dead skin cells. The high temperature helps the pores do open and this way your skin will clear of the toxins and the cosmetic products will reach every skin cell.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin and body hydrated.
- Eat plenty of foods rich in fatty acids (walnuts, salmon, chicken) because a dull complexion can be a sign of essential fat deficiency.
- When applying your makeup, make sure you apply it to a well-moisturized skin. Avoid yellow-based makeup products as they can make your skin appear even duller.
- Exercise daily to improve your blood circulation and metabolism.